Friday, October 21, 2011

Product Review: Vitaband

The Product: The Vitaband takes the idea of the Road ID one step further, by providing users with online emergency contact information as well as a wrist-worn prepaid debit card. No more slipping a five spot in your sports bra or getting the evil eye from cashiers who don't want to handle the sweaty bills you had stowed in your shorts during your long ride. Just swipe your wrist by the sensor and buy all the mid-ride nutrition you need.

What I like about the Vitaband:
1. It is cool not having to carry cash just in case I may want a gatorade at some point mid-ride. I could also see this being a benefit when snowboarding or maybe even surfing - less stuff in my pockets.
2. The rubber wristband look is pretty standard these days. The Vitaband is light and comfortable - easy to forget you even have it on.
What I don't like:
1. You have to sign up for a Visa Prepaid Debit Card. I wish there was a simpler way to pay - I'm probably just being picky, I just like limiting the number of accounts I have out there.
2. While I dig the rubber wristband look, I'm not a huge fan of the big medical symbol - seems a bit too "I've fallen and I can't get up." The same goes for the mini card. Maybe just a plain color or Vitaband symbol instead of a big visa logo that says "Steal me, I'm a debit card."
The bottom line: The Vitaband is a pretty cool convenience for folks who don't mind signing up for a prepaid card. It's really as useful as the number of stores that accept it in your area. Go ahead and check out Vitaband's site to see if there are any on your normal running/riding route.

3 comments:

  1. The only issue I have is that the only place I know of that offers a cardless payment option is the gas station - and that's only for gas.

    Other than that, the idea is cool, just not widely applicable at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty awesome idea, I know it would be accepted EVERYWHERE that I live!!! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

facebook twitter facebook follow